The History Of Worcester's Union Station
various points scattered about (Seven). Although quite similar to the Gothic Style, Norman Style focuses more on massive rounded arches and spatial areas (Normal).
Formed in 1863, the Ware and Van Brunt partnership consisted of William Robert Ware and Henry Van Brunt. Ware was an engineer specialist, leaving Brunt as the designer. In 1865, Ware would become the head of the school of architecture at MIT, which held one of the oldest architecture programs in the United States. Sadly, the practiced ended in 1881 in result of Ware moving to New York and establishing Columbia University’s own school of architecture. Together the pair constructed several institutions, churches, and residential buildings. Arguably, their most well known work in Memorial Hall located at Harvard, which was completed in 1878 (Ware).
Considered the Grand Central Station of Worcester, the station would service the Boston & Albany, Providence & Worcester, and the Norwich & Fitchburg lines. Ten thousand passengers, on a daily bases, would make their way in 1898. However, the station, and the city itself, could simply not, safely, handle the vast amount of traffic coming though. At the time, grade crossings, trolley tracks, and intersecting roads were becoming a bigger and bigger problem (Arsenault).
By the early twentieth century, not only did the tracks need to be replaced, but the businesses in surrounding mills were becoming more successful, it was decided that a New Union Station would be built.…