If you’re looking to add a little variety to your dishes at home, orzo can make for a fun and flavorful experience. Orzo is nice because it has a firm texture that gives some structure to your food. It also cooks pretty quickly, so it’s easy, too!
What is orzo? While it looks like rice or slivered almonds, orzo is actually pasta. It means “barley” in Italian. It is used to make risotto, and it is also an easy ingredient to add to soups. Orzo is made with semolina flour and has a long shelf life. A 2-ounce serving or orzo has about 200 calories, 42 grams of total carbs, 7 grams of protein, and is made up of 10% of your daily value of iron. You can usually find orzo in the pasta isle of the grocery store. …show more content…
If you are not able to serve immediately, then add to a pan with a little oil or butter, and turn the burner to on. Cover with lid. Stir occasionally until ready to serve, at most 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Description: Woman with ladle over a pot in the kitchen
Description: woman chopping in kitchen
Now that you know how to cook this unique pasta, it’s time to dress it up! Here are some orzo dishes you are sure to enjoy. Some are great as side dishes, and others make a great meal.
Parmesan Garlic Orzo
1 cup orzo
¼ cup (half a stick) butter
2 T milk
2 tsp garlic
¼ cup Parmesan
Salt and pepper
(To make this a full meal, add some cooked vegetables and chicken.)
1. Cook orzo according to instructions.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir garlic in melted butter until lightly browned, about 5 …show more content…
Put a skillet on medium heat with olive oil.
2. Add chicken and cook until brown on both sides.
3. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
4. Using the same pan, add orzo and let it brown, then add onions and garlic.
5. Add chicken back to pan on the orzo. In a small bowl, add chicken stock, tomatoes, salt and pepper, then pour over chicken and orzo.
6. Increase heat to medium high and let boil, cover and lower heat to let simmer about 10 minutes.
7. When orzo is completely cooked, remove from heat and sprinkle with parsley.
Recipe from Simply Recipes. http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/one_pot_chicken_and_orzo/ Be sure to comment below. Did you like the info in this article?
We have a lot of food intolerances in our house, so finding fresh and easy recipes is my number one goal. I love cooking for my family and hearing, “This is my favorite!” from my