Free College Tuition Is Not Economically Feasible For State Government

1239 Words Nov 2nd, 2015 5 Pages
is that it is not economically feasible for state government to cover the cost of its residents’ tuition. The second reason is because college and university faculty and staff are already being underpaid for their work and free tuition would further cut their salaries. The third reason is that free college tuition would put taxpayers at a disadvantage because they would be the ones who were really funding this free education—nothing in life is ever truly free.
In 1976, the Commonwealth of Virginia established a goal of tuition cost sharing, called the “70/30” plan (Zheng, Hix, & State Council of Higher Education for Virginia, 2014). This
70/30 plan meant that the Commonwealth of Virginia was planning to cover 70% of college costs and students would be responsible for the other 30% of college costs. The Commonwealth gave up on the 70/30 plan in the early 1990s because of the economic recession (Zheng et al., 2014).
For the current school year of 2014-2015, the Commonwealth is covering 47% of the cost of higher education and students are responsible for the other 53%—this means that the Commonwealth of
Virginia is covering 23% less of the cost of college than their original goal of 70% (Zheng et al.,
2014). A chart of the cost-sharing data in Virginia can be found below in Figure 1. This figure was developed by looking at historical data from the State Council of Higher Education for
Virginia’s 2014-2015 Tuition and Fees at Virginia’s State-Supported Colleges and Universities…

Related Documents