Following are the essential qualities that a leader should possess:
1. Selflessness: The very foundation and heart of leadership qualities is selfl- essness which means self-sacrifice or unselfishness. Its two other components are knowledge and character. Leaders on the basis of their knowledge determine what to do in any given situation, and by the strength of their character get the job done by handling people appropriately. Mere character not supported by knowledge puts a ceiling on a leader’s potential.
2. Courage: Courage is the most striking human virtue that a leader should possess to take decisions to act. As a result, he should be accountable for the success or failure of the decisions.
3. Will power: Will …show more content…
The reason for this is simple: if the leader possesses all types of leadership qualities but if they fail to communicate well, then they can never be a great leader.
5. Knowledge: Leaders learn through their own efforts which develop into their knowledge. They develop their experience by working in the field of work which cannot be replaced by any device. Knowledge of the job gives leaders their strength. A leader is also required to have knowledge of how to handle people.
6. Honesty: Honesty is the most valuable asset of a leader. He must be honest with both the management committee and to his employees. Another feature of a leader is integrity which is considered as the most admirable trait of a leader. Once a leader compromises their integrity, it is lost. Leaders therefore must keep it ‘above all else’.
7. Visionary outlook: It is one of the rare qualities of a leader. They must be able to look beyond where the company is today, know where the business is going and be able to use that vision to move the company forward. For example, the CEO of a company always looks for the future expansion of the business and how to stabilize it. A leader without vision is no better than a handicapped commander. The vision of the leader also inculcates foresightedness in people working under them or people following …show more content…
Leader should have a clean character: This is by far the most important quality of a good leader. The leader is a person who is looked upon as an inspiration by the followers. In such a scenario, bad impression would be the last thing one would like to set as a leader. More importantly, the leadership qualities of a tainted person are bound to be questioned by everybody.
14. Leader should possess good communication skills: Possessing good communication skills comes next in the list of good leadership qualities. One has to make a note of the fact that communication skills are not just restricted to oratory skills, but also include other aspects of communication, such as listening and writing.
15. Leader should possess good decision-making abilities: In the journey to the top, a leader has to take many crucial decisions on the behalf of the team and followers. At this point of time, his decision-making and analytical skills would be tested, as the decision he takes will decide the fate of the team as a whole.
16. Leader should be responsible: Success and failures are part and parcel of everybody’s life. As the leader, one should be ready to take the responsibility of the same. Hogging the limelight during success, and blaming the other members in the team during failures are the worst things a leader can possibly