Conflict Management in Relationships Essay example
Bracketing- Noting that an issue arising in the course of a conflict should be resolved later
Contracting- Building a solution through negotiation and the acceptance of parts of proposals
Exit Response- Physically walking out or psychologically withdrawing
Games- Highly patterned interactions in which real conflict is hidden or denied
Grace- Granting forgiveness or putting aside our own needs when there is no standard that says we should or must do so
Kitchen-Sinking- In which everything except th the kitchen sink is thrown into the argument
Lose-Lose- Assumes that conflict results in losses for everyone & that it is …show more content…
V. The communication pattern we choose during conflict can help or hinder the relationship.
A. Ineffective communication Can hurt individuals, damage relationships & undermine the possibility or resolving problems. Unproductive Communication Patterns reflect a preoccupation with oneself and disregard for the other. As a result, communication tends to be negative
1. Early in the process, we use communication that disconfirms the other person.
2. Cross-complaining happens when one person’s complaint is met by a counter complaint.
2. Once a negative climate has been established, we maintain it by engaging in additional negative communication (e.g., kitchensinking).
3. In the later stages of the conflict, all parties feel the pressure to resolve the conflict, usually on their own terms rather than taking the other person’s proposals into account.
B. Constructive communication during conflict creates a supportive positive climate, increases the possibility of resolving differences without harming the relationship
1. Prior to the conflict, people confirm each other by recognizing and acknowledging each other’s concerns and feelings; when the conflict arises, they know that they are both working together to come up with a solution.
2. In the middle stages, everyone