In this study, we hope to investigate the effects that chronic sleep loss can have on collegiate basketball players, both on sprint and shooting performance and reaction times, and how these effects can change their playing performance.
You have been selected as a possible participant in this study because you are a female in a Division II college who is currently on a varsity level basketball team. If you decide to participate, …show more content…
Before practice the physical performance tests will be administered and recorded. Also after practice the Epworth Sleepiness Scale will be administered.
10. The reaction time tests will be done twice during the day.
11. After one day of sleep restriction, you will have a 7 day period of sleep recovery where you will be obtaining 6-9 hours of sleep each night. Sleep will still be recorded daily in the journal.
12. After the 5 day period, you will be asked to go 5 days with partial sleep deprivation. You are to go to bed at 2 am and wake up at 6 am.
13. Protocol for the 5 day sleep restriction period will be the same as the 1 day sleep restriction: you will log in your sleep journal, physical performance test and reaction time tests, and Epworth Sleepiness Scale will be administered every day of the 5 days.
14. After the 5 day restriction, there will be another recovery period where 7 days are taken for you to obtain 6-9 hours of sleep every night.
15. After the recovery period, you will be asked to restrict sleep for 1 continuous week. The same procedure will be followed throughout the entire week.
16. After the 1 week sleep restriction, there will be one week of sleep recovery where 6-9 hours of sleep are obtained every …show more content…
This information will not be released to any person without your prior written consent. However, the information will be used in research reports or presentations, but your name or any other forms of identity will not be disclosed. Any information that is obtained in connection with this study and that can be identified with you will remain confidential and will be disclosed only with your permission. All participant’s information and data will be known to the investigators, but will not be shared and will be kept in a locked file in the faculty supervisor’s office. Each subject’s will be identified using a numeric code. The coding will only be known to the investigators conducting the