Personal Theory: The Purpose Of Religious Education
1. The purpose of religious education
1) Deliver the biblical values through family life The Bible mirrors every dimension of the world, so the biblical values can help people form constructive and balanced characteristics to be whole persons. However, the biblical values will not be fully transmitted by only teaching in the church on a limited time because values are not knowledge to get by just teaching. Rather, the values are effectively delivered when teachers embody the values from their life with knowledge about the values like the public life of Jesus. In this view, family is the best place to deliver the biblical values with sharing their …show more content…
The educational assumptions of the approach 1) The best parents can be the best teachers. The more teachers have a time with their students, the better their educational effect expand. In this view, parents are those who can spend a lot of time with their children, so parents has a possibility to be the best teachers. 2) Religious education is proved by life. Religious education teaches the content of the bible as well as builds faith, and it is very short to build faith by only learning about the biblical knowledge. When the life support knowledge, the knowledge can be meaningful. The Bible says, “So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead”(James 2:17, NRSV). This means that the sincerity of religious education is revealed when life supports the education, which can give learners the impression, “The faith is very important in my life.” 3) The play is a effective way of education. The play can be an effective educational form to participate voluntarily, and, in particular, it is very natural in family to have a form of the play.
4. The curricular starting points and subject …show more content…
The nature of teacher-learner interaction Teacher has authority Teacher has authority for teaching, but teacher does not teach learner with authority. And teacher walks together with learner more than teach because accompanying with learner is the better education. Learner has voluntariness When learner has voluntariness to study something, this studying can be effective. So how teacher makes a good circumstance is very critical point.
9. The passion for the approach The passion for the approach is to form family as a sacred place to reveal the the knowledge and values of the bible and to practice them because the knowledge and values can have meanings through practicing and embodying them in real life.
10. The limits or vulnerabilities of the approach 1) Multi-religious family If parents do not have faith, it is hard for their family to be a small church. Especially, members have different religious tradition, it is likely to have a conflict in family. 2) Patriarchal family The role of Parents is very important in the biblical family centered paradigm, but, in other way, this paradigm is patriarchal. Thus, it is required to figure out the role of another members as