Questions On Mixed Melting Point And How It Was Being Used Essay
1. What reaction was carried out in this lab and what reagents were used?
2. What techniques were used to purify and identify the product of the reaction?
3. Describe acid-base extraction and how it was being used in this experiment?
4. Describe recrystallization and how it was being used in this experiment?
5. Describe mixed melting point and how it was being used in this experiment?
6. What was the identity of the unknown acid? 7. What yield and percent yield were obtained?
8. What percent recovery was obtained from recrystallization?
9. What melting point data were obtained?
10. Use your data the justify what product you obtained.
11. Does the yield of your product make sense? Explain.
12. Do your melting point data make sense? Explain.
13. What was the identity of your product? What led you to this conclusion?
14. How might you go about identifying the product if your data was inconclusive?
15. What could you do to increase the yield in a future experiment?
1. In this experiment, an unknown benzoic acid reacted with NaOH in diethyl ether in a simple acid-base reaction to product a benzoate ion.
2. Acid-base extraction, recrystallization, and melting point were used to purify and identify the product.
3. In this experiment, acid-base extraction was performed in order to isolate the neutral compound and unknown acid. In order to isolate the two, the mixture must first be transferred into a seperatory funnel where it will separate based on polarity,…