Info Management Case Study Essay
After reading this chapter, you will be able to answer the following questions:
1. What are the different types of decisions and how does the decision-making process work?
2. How do information systems support the activities of managers and management decision making?
3. How do decision-support systems (DSS) differ from MIS and how do they provide value to the business?
4. How do executive support systems (ESS) help senior managers make better decisions?
5. What is the role of information systems in helping people working in a group make decisions more efficiently?
12.1 DECISION MAKING AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS
Business Value of Improved Decision Making
Types of …show more content…
After evaluating several leading business intelligence products, EMS selected WebFOCUS and iWay middleware from Information Builders Inc. EMS believed WebFOCUS was better than other tools in combining data from various sources and presenting the results in a user-friendly view. It is Web-based and easy to implement, taking EMS only 90 days to be up and running.
IWay extracts point-of-sale data from EMS’s legacy enterprise system running on an IBM AS/400 midrange computer and loads them into a data mart running Microsoft’s SQL Server database management system. WebFOCUS then creates a series of executive dashboards accessible through Web browsers, which provide a common view of the data to more than 200 users at headquarters and retail stores.
The dashboards provide a high-level view of key performance indicators such as sales, inventory, and margin levels, but enable users to drill down for more detail on specific transactions. Managers for merchandising monitor inventory levels and the rate that items