Essay about Health Science Unit One Questions
1. What are diagnostics? How is this related to the health sciences?
Diagnostics is, essentially, figuring out what is wrong with a patient. This is related to the health sciences in that patients do not always know what is ailing them. It is the health care professional’s responsibility to take care of and diagnose the patient.
2. What is trepanation? Why was this used?
Trepanation is the ancient practice of drilling holes into the head in order to relieve cranial pressure. This procedure dates back to as early as 7000 BCE. It was used in an attempt to relieve pressure inside of the skull due to illnesses such as epilepsy, migraines, and the swelling of the brain.
3. Describe three ways that healthcare is …show more content…
Private health insurance is a doubleedged sword. On one hand, it generally provides a higher quality health care experience tailored to your needs. Additionally, it may take less time to be treated. However, it costs much more than other treatments, and the payments often become overwhelming.
2. What was healthcare in the ancient world like? How did it provide the foundations for modern healthcare?
Health care in the ancient world was often based in superstition and religion. However, most treatments were discovered by experimentation and trial & error. Over thousands of years, this experimentation slowly turned into modern science and medicine.
3. How has technology affected the health sciences?
Technology has affected the health sciences a great deal. Without it, we would have no idea what causes illnesses or what can be done to cure them. Thanks to technology, we know what pathogens are as well as how treatments can be used to heal ill patients.
4. One of the changes in the informatics area of the health sciences is the use of electronic medical records. Some individuals have expressed concern about this. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of electronic medical records? Why might some people be concerned about them?
Electronic medical records are superior to having hard copies in that it can be accessed anywhere in the world