Education : A Second Chance For A Higher Education Essay

1104 Words Oct 28th, 2015 5 Pages
Education Going Back to School
There are so many people in the United States that are returning to school. A second chance for a higher education. There are many reasons why the average student doesn’t attend college right after high school. Sometimes they start a family early, have to go to work right after school, or just need a break after 12 years of school. One of the main reason that students return to school, so that they can get a degree for a better paying job. Second chance students are more focus and ready for the challenges of college. By them being more mature they know the importance of an education.
According to the U.S. Department of Education the percentage of high school students who enrolled in a 2 or 4 year college immediately after high school is 24 percent for 2 year colleges, and 42 percent for 4 year college from 1990-2013 giving a total of 66 percent. The high school students include GED recipients. However, the rate has decreased in recent years down from 70 percent in 2009. The rate did not change that much between 2012, (66 percent) and 2013. The college enrollment rate immediately following high school graduation varied over time. The longer a student is out of school the harder it is for them to return. Mike Rose points out in his book Back to School today there are 45 percent post secondary students in the United States who did not enroll in college directly after high school.
Universities and elite colleges focus on the traditional…

Related Documents