Technological Progress Is The Single Cause Of Obesity Essay

1571 Words Nov 22nd, 2016 7 Pages
Technological Progress is the Single Cause of Obesity Lauren Dougherty

According to data from the 2014 Health Survey for England, 24% of adults in England are obese and a further 36% are overweight, making a total of 60% who are either overweight or obese. (Baker and Bate, 2016) This paper shall discuss whether technological progress is the single cause of this.

It appears that there is a strong link between obesity and lack of sleep. “We discovered that the less sleep teenagers get, the more likely they are to be overweight or obese. Teenagers who used devices such as mobile telephones and computers at bedtime were most likely to be obese and sleep the least. What’s more, teenagers who were ‘evening types’ were more likely to have unhealthy diets and have a higher body weight.” (Taheri, 2016) This means that teenagers who expose themselves to devices at bedtime find it harder to sleep than those who have a cool down period before bedtime. The glare of screens makes it hard for the mind to unwind when attempting to sleep. Dr. Shahrad Taheri’s extract also suggests that those teenagers who spent time on computers also tended to eat the wrong foods at the wrong times causing a higher Body mass index.

In contrast to this there is also the opinion that busy work schedules and parents who work tend not to have as much time to prepare nutritious meals. “Long work hours and irregular schedules mean more time away from family, less time for…

Related Documents