System Implementation Essay
This chapter introduces students to many of the activities carried out during implementation, including coding, testing, installation, documentation, user training, and support for a system after it is installed. While most systems development texts do not include much material on implementation, the authors remedy this situation by providing material on relevant management issues, including change management, organizational politics, and implementation success. The authors also include a discussion of implementation failure, something few systems developments texts discuss, despite the high rate of information systems failure. The discussion of failure is presented in the context of factors the analyst (and project …show more content…
In the “Electronic Commerce Application: System Implementation and Operation For Pine Valley Furniture’s WebStore” section, the authors apply the concepts presented in this chapter to the implementation process conducted at PVF’s WebStore. The authors discuss the preparation of test cases and the alpha and beta testing process for the WebStore.
Instructional Objectives Specific student learning objectives are included at the beginning of the chapter. From an instructor's point of view, the objectives of this chapter are to:
1. Discuss with students the subprocesses that make up system implementation.
2. Teach students about the many different types of testing that occur in implementation and when each one is appropriate.
3. Show students how to prepare a test plan for an information system.
4. Have students distinguish among four installation strategies: direct, parallel, single location, and phased installation and know when to use each one.
5. Explain the differences between system and user documentation, emphasizing that system documentation occurs throughout the SDLC.
6. Provide students with the information necessary for them to write task-oriented user documentation.
7. Demonstrate the many different modes available for training users, including tutorials, courses,