Situational Leadership Essay
(a) “Although leadership is situational, some traits, skills and characteristics contribute to leadership effectiveness in many situations,” (Dubrin, 1992).
Analyse this statement giving examples of an organisation you are familiar with. (30)
Leadership can be termed effective, whenever group or activities are required; the emergence of a leader becomes imminent. A group always works effectively when there is a leader to guide the members and keep them motivated on their way to success. A leader should possess leadership skills, traits and qualities that will be encompassed in the various types of leadership styles namely Democratic, Autocratic, Laissez-Faire and Participative.
DEFINITION OF KEY …show more content…
• Inspiring – Display confidence in all that you do by showing endurance in mental, physical and spiritual stamina, you will inspire others to reach new heights. Take charge when necessary.
• Intelligent – Read, study and seek challenging assignments.
• Broad –minded – seek out diversity
Organizations consist of three components i.e.
• The structure gives the organization its form and dictates the way it will interact.
• The followers respond to the structure and the leaders.
• The leaders determine the ultimate effectiveness of the organization as the character and skills that they bring determine the way problems are solved and tasks are accomplished.
In analysis to the statement of (Dubrin 1992) the writer will use an organization called NSSA (National Social Security Authority) to analyse leadership effectiveness. NSSA is a parastatal involved in the administration of National Pension Scheme and Workers Compensation Insurance Fund. It is classified in the insurance sector which caters for pension, health and safety of workers.
The organizational structure of NSSA is a functional where we have the CEO, Directors, Managers and subordinates. The functional departments involve Pension