1) What factors contributed to EuroDisney’s poor performance during its first year of operation? What factors contributed to Hong Kong Disney’s poor performance during its first year? The factors that contributed to EuroDisney’s poor performance during its first year of operation were their lack of knowledge of their target market and the fact that they did not realize that the target market consisted of more than one culture. Disney tried to force feed American culture with a mixture of what they thought the Europeans would enjoy. By using American characters and the American attitude on ideas such as design, price and experience they were bound to fail; At Hong Kong Disney failed the first year due to their ignorance of the culture again
…show more content…
5) Why did success in Tokyo predispose Disney management to be too optimistic in their expectations of success in France? In China? Discuss. In Tokyo the biggest generation consist of young adults that continue to embrace the American culture full heartedly, so giving them their own version of American right next door was one of the best things to happen for them. This also gave Disney a false representation of how the European cultures would view them and left them vulnerable to the idea that detailed research wasn’t necessary.
6) Why do you think the experience in France didn’t help Disney avoid some of the problems in Hong Kong? It didn’t help because they have different cultures therefore they needed different things from Disney plus they didn’t take the problems that they had already encountered and learn from their mistakes.
7) Now that Hong Kong Disney is up and running, will the Shanghai development benefit from the Hong Kong experience? Yes, because by now Disney has perfected their marketing plans and targets individual’s cultures instead of targeting the country that individual resides in.
8) Now that Disney has opened Hong Kong Disney and begun work on the Shanghai location, where and when should it go next? Assume you are a consultant hired to give Disney advice on the issue of where and when to go next. Pick three locations and