The Trojan War Essay
1. Where is it believed Troy is located?
2. When is it believed that Troy fell?
3. What was the importance of Troy in the ancient world?
4. What do we learn of the fall of Troy through the Iliad?
5. Which archeologist found the alleged site of Troy?
6. When was the alleged site of Troy discovered?
7. What is the importance of the discovery of Troy?
The story of the Trojan War has played a crucial role in shaping the way the history of ancient Greece has been formed, and is an infamous example of ancient warfare. The writings of Homer in the Iliad and the …show more content…
The discovery of a site widely believed to be Troy by Heinrich Schliemann in the late 1800’s; however, this follows prior discoveries, as well as many issues surrounding this discovery. Prior to the finding at the site of Hisarlik, in modern day Turkey, there were three main contenders for the site of Homeric Troy; Bunarbashi, Hisarlik and Alexandrian Troas, which has since been disproven. Prior to Schliemann’s find, British archeologist Frank Calvert also researched into the possible site of Troy, finding also that Hisarlik was the most likely location of the city, other archeologists such as Wilhelm Dörpfeld and Manfred Korfmann also researched into the location following Schliemann’s find. There were large amounts of speculation surrounding the find, particularly the ‘Treasure of Priam’ and the Agamemnon masks. Schliemann described the