Final Exam Essay examples
Name: _Katrina Winters___________________________
Please note: There are 56 questions. Each question is worth 2.5 points.
1. Which term is used to describe a group that is set apart from others primarily because of its national origin or distinctive cultural patterns? a. social group b. ethnic group c. racial group d. formal group
2. Members of a minority or subordinate group a. share physical or cultural characteristics that distinguish them from the dominant group. b. have less power over their lives than do members of a majority. c. acquire membership by being born into that group. d. all of these apply
3. Secession is a. the physical separation …show more content…
9. A person or group is described as having particular characteristics and then begins to display the very traits that were said to exist. This is an example of the a. contact hypothesis. b. exploitation theory. c. self-fulfilling prophecy. d. exchange theory.
10. The deliberate systematic killing of an entire people or nation is called a. colonialism. b. apartheid. c. genocide. d. totalitarianism.
11. A sociological approach introduced by Howard Becker that attempts to explain why certain people are viewed as deviants and others engaging in the same behavior are not refers to a. contact hypothesis. b. labeling theory. c. exploitation theory. d. exchange theory.
12. The tendency to assume that one’s culture and way of life are superior to all others is known as a. cultural relativism. b. discrimination. c. exploitation. d. ethnocentrism.
13. A negative attitude toward an entire category of people is known as a. prejudice. b. discrimination. c. exploitation. d. authoritarianism.
14. The president of a bank refuses to hire the most qualified candidate for a key management position because he is African. This is an example of a. discrimination. b. prejudice. c. the contact hypothesis. d. the