Cyber Safety Regarding Identity Theft Essay
What is Identity Theft?
• Identity theft is a crime in which an imposter obtains key pieces of personal information, such as Social Security or driver 's license numbers without that person’s knowledge or permission, to get a benefit or to cause harm.
• An identity thief takes on another person’s identity by using their personal information, which includes the person’s name, address, date of birth and email and social media log-in details.
It is illegal to:
• Have possession of someone else’s personal information with the intention of committing a crime.
• Make, use, or give away someone’s personal information
How does identity theft happen?
• Even if you think something is just a joke or a harmless prank it is still considered a crime.
• Identity theft doesn’t just include using another person’s bank or credit card details to steal money or trick the person into buying something, it can also include actions theft which could lead to criminal charges and punishment such as creating a fake social media profile.
• If you use someone’s personal information to create a fake online profile for the purpose of committing a crime, or to help to commit a crime, you could face criminal charges.
• Hacking into a person’s email or social media account
• It is illegal to access someone’s emails, online instant messages or social media profiles using their password or login details without their permission. It is also against the law to…