Chemistry Final Exam Version 2b Essay
Directions: It is important that you provide answers in your own words. Please focus only on information from the text/eBook to create your own solutions. Please do not use direct information from an outside source (especially copying and pasting from an “answer” website). Use of direct information from an outside source is against school policy. All answers will be checked for plagiarism. Instances of plagiarism can result in probation or possible dismissal from the school.
Please be sure to follow all guidelines (number of sentences/showing all calculations) and to provide the correct metric units of measure. All questions are 5 points (1 point for sentence …show more content…
10. The freezing of water at 0⁰C can be represented as follows:
H2O (l) ↔ H2O(s)
The density of liquid water is 1.00 g/cm3. The density of ice is 0.92 g/cm3. In 3 – 4 sentences explain why applying pressure causes ice to melt.
11. The Kw of water varies with temperature. Calculate the pH of water at 46⁰C with a Kw = 3.219 x 10-14. Show all calculations leading to an answer.
12. Calculate the hydroxide ion concentration of a solution with pH = 10.25. Show all calculations leading to an answer.
13. What salt results from the neutralization of acetic acid with potassium hydroxide?
14. What is the oxidation number of phosphorus in P2O5?
15. Which element is oxidized in the following reaction:
CuO(s) + H2 (g) Cu(s) + H2O (l)
16. Why must the number of electrons lost equal the number of electrons gained in every redox reaction? Use 3 – 4 sentences in your own words to address this question.
17. The following unbalanced equation describes the reaction that can occur when dinitrogen tetroxide, N2O4, is combined with hydrazine, N2H4.
N2O4 (l) + N2H4 (l) N2 (g) + H2O (g)
Balance the equation and describe in words the electron transfer(s) that takes place.
18. What type of radiation is emitted when K-38 decays into Ca-38? Show the nuclear equation that leads you to this answer.
19. A radioactive nucleus decays to yield a bismuth-211 nucleus and an alpha particle. What was the