Case Study Sentinel Event
This is a case involving pediatric patient by the name Tina, whom they thought she was abducted from the hospital. Tina and her mum arrived that morning of September 14 at the hospital and they were checked in with the registrar. The admission registrar collected Tina’s demographic information and insurance card as required by the hospital policy and entered it into the medical records. Tina’s mother signed the consent paper work for Tina’s surgery at the admission. No custody information was obtained at the admission.
Tina was admitted and pre-op nurse gave Tina mother consent forms to sign. The pre-op nurse did some assessment, and started her IV and administered her pre-op medication. Tina’s mum informed the pre-op nurse …show more content…
The second member of staff interviewed was the pre –op nurse. She is responsible to fill out pre-op paper work, prepare the patient for surgery, make sure consent for procedure is signed by the patient, and review the patient to make sure thy okay for surgery.
• Security is responsible to provide security in the hospital and respond to any patient security and notify law enforcement in case of any problem or security issues.
• Pre op nurse is responsible to administer pre- operative medication, give patient consent form to sign, change patient into surgical attire, and provide pre-operative care.
• OR nurse is responsible is the one who review patient while undergoing surgery and help the doctor during surgery, evaluate patient after surgery making sure they are fine. After the surgery the OR nurse is also responsible to hand over patient to the recovery nurse.
• Surgeon is responsible for operating the patient.
• Anesthesia is responsible to monitor patient breathing while undergoing operation
• Recovery nurse is responsible for patient post-operative, making sure patient is fine with no complication, receive patient after surgery. Prepare patient for …show more content…
The best improvement tool to be used is the PDCA plan, DO, Check and Act protocol. This is a very intense procedure but it’s doable. First they need to identify the problem or the issue, then develop an action plan as to how they will change the issue. Then they practice the plan by doing it to see the effectiveness or whether it is working. After implementing the plan they need to check and evaluate if it is working or not. The last process is to Act on it and change anything that is not working properly. The steps should be able to identify if it’s working