Essay on inertia and car accidents
Title: Inertia and Car accidents.
Aim: To find out how inertia plays a part in accidents.
1. Wooden ramp, approx 1.5m long and 30cm wide.
2. Bricks or wooden blocks
3. 2 dynamics, trolleys or toy cars
5. metre rule
1. Two plasticine dummies weighing 20g each were made and placed on the trolleys.
2. Trolley B was placed 30-40cm in front of the ramp.
3. Trolley A was placed 100cm from the end of the ramp. Directly in line with the other trolley. …show more content…
b) What design features do cars have to reduce the risk of injury during this type of collision?
Car designers have created features such as:
- airbags to prevent the driver from hitting his/her head on the dashboard.
- Crumple zones, to prevent the car from folding or collapsing on the drivers and passengers.
- Headrests so when the drivers head flicks back, the neck and spine is not injured
4. What happened to the dummy on trolley B? explain why this happened.
Trolley B fell backward.
Trolley B was stationary and wants to stay at rest but when it is hit from behind, the dummy resists, but the trolley underneath moves forward, causing the dummy to fall off backward.
5 a) What happens to the passengers in a stationary car when its get hit from behind?
When a car gets hit from behind, the passengers suffer from whiplash which is an injury to the muscles, ligaments, vertebrae, or nerves of the neck caused when the head is suddenly thrown forward and then sharply back.
b) What design features do cars have to reduce the