Understand How to Plan and Provide Environments and Services That Support Children and Young People’s Health and Safety
1. Understand how to plan and provide environments and services that support children and young people’s health and safety
1.1 Describe the factors to take into account when planning healthy and safe indoor and outdoor environments and services
The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 covers many health and safety legislations in England and Wales. These include, RIDDOR, COSHH, First Aid, Fire Regulations etc. All of these legislations need to be understood and adhered to when planning any activities.
I would ensure that that the participants age, needs and abilities are taken into consideration. These could be specific to one person, eg. pregnancy, sensory …show more content…
- I would make sure that my own actions do not harm myself of others. I ensure this by tidying and putting things away when a task is complete. An example is when we tidy up hot meal equipment at the end of the lunch period.
- I also ensure that PPE is used by myself and others if required. For example, as a Midday Meals Supervisor, if we are tasked with serving the hot meals, we ensure that aprons and gloves are worn.
- Equipment would need to safe. This would be checked visually and also ensure that relevant kite marks or (EC) European Conformity logos are apparent.
Staff working within the school have a responsibility under the Children’s Act 1989 to ensure that children are cared for and are safe.
Children that require on-going medical treatment each have a care plan and are kept by the school. Any medication that is prescribed for a particular medical problem, will be given by the appropriate person (normally a trained first aider). Strict records are kept as to exact time medication is administered, and this information is kept within the school office. At least two members of staff at St. Mary’s have attended a Managing Medicine Course.
2. Be able to recognise and manage risks to health , safety and security in a work setting or off site visits
This task is assessed within the school environment.
3. Understand how to support children