Toxic Release Essay

1634 Words 7 Pages
Air Quality and Toxic Release
The problem of the air quality and toxic release is currently attracting people’s attention worldwide. Certainly, resident of the vibrant, wealth city of Montreal, in Canada, are also focused on solving this universal problem. Due to the reason that people are focusing on solving the problem of pollution, factors that lower the air quality seems impossible to exist. However, they do exist.
Before talking about these factors, knowing the general air quality in Montreal is quite important. Both non-governmental organizations and the governmental organizations show that the air quality in Montreal is healthy and low risk. People can imagine the level of healthiness of the air quality in Montreal by comparing the
…show more content…
There are different kinds of pollutants that contribute to the poor air quality: they include ozone, fine particulate matter (PM2.5,) sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, and carbon monoxide. Among these pollutants, two should be noticeable to average person. Sulfur dioxide (SO2,) a colorless gas that has an acrid smell, is one of them. Extended exposure to this gas will have a negative impact on the lungs, reducing lung capacity and causing lung diseases. Moreover, it will also increase the risk of getting a chronic respiratory illness. According to the data that the government provides, the major sources of sulfur dioxide in Montreal are industry (88.3%) and transportation (7.6 %), which means that a total of 95.9% are produced by human activities. On the other hand, Carbon Monoxide, an odorless and colorless gas, is released mainly by transportation (75.7 %,) along with industry (13.5%) and residential wood burning (10.6%). Unlike sulfur dioxide, Carbon Monoxide is far more dangerous. High concentrations of Carbon Monoxide can be a toxic even over short periods of time. Additionally, low concentrations are also dangerous. It is similar to taking chronic poison if a person stays in this area for a long period of time. It usually causes dizziness, headache, motor and visual impairment, altogether with a loss of dexterity and reflexes. These are not the only effects: …show more content…
According to the speech by Professor Allen, people spend most of the time indoor throughout their lives. This is even more true to the people that live in Montreal due to the cruel weather condition. The record from past 30 years show that the average snow time in Montreal began from October and stopped around May, which means that the city is freeze more than half of a year . Back to indoor air quality, the World Health Organization says that around 3 billion people cook and heat with solid fuels which produce air pollution. Moreover, these people are more likely to develop different illnesses such as heart disease and lung cancer . How is the indoor air quality in Montreal? In the residential area of Montreal, most of the buildings have a smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm, which stops indoor smoking and guarantees the indoor air quality. Furthermore, the government clearly lists all the limitations on major indoor pollutants such as radon, ozone, nitrogen dioxide, and benzene in order to protect people’s health . Additionally, McGill University, located in Montreal, randomly selected a building, tested its indoor air quality in different rooms throughout 3rd to 9th floor, drew the conclusion after they gathered all the needed information, and offered advice . The result showed that only temperature and

Related Documents

Related Topics