Essay On Spotting
Vaginal spotting occurs when a small amount of blood, which may be pink, bright red or rusty brown, passes from the vagina. It can occur at one time or it can last for a few to several days.
Spotting instead of period sometimes occurs and it puzzles many women. It can occur any time during the menstrual cycle, but it is often troubling when it happens just before your period if you are trying to conceive or after your period when it has already stopped.
Spotting is sometimes perfectly normal, but there are times when it may indicate something is wrong.
Part 1: What Could Cause Spotting?
There are many possible causes of spotting instead of period:
Normal menstrual cycle
Normal menstrual flow may consist of different …show more content…
This birth control method is a device inserted into your uterus, which may cause spotting.
• Hormonal imbalance. Two hormones (estrogen and progesterone) regulate your monthly cycle. If imbalance occurs, you may have spotting instead of period. Hormonal imbalance may result from thyroid gland problems, dysfunctional ovaries, using/stopping birth control pills, and severe stress.
• Uterine fibroids/polyps. These non-cancerous growths in the uterus are common in women who have already given birth.
• Infection. An infection in the reproductive organs can cause bleeding and inflammation. Common causes include sexually transmitted infection, frequent douching or intercourse, or pelvic inflammatory disease, a condition marked by inflammation of the pelvic organs, and often leading to scarring.
• Menopause. The transition to menopause can cause hormonal imbalances that may cause spotting instead of period, a sign that you are entering the perimenopausal period.
• Cancer. Cancer of the uterus, cervix, vagina, or ovaries may cause spotting.
• Rare causes. These include having a foreign object in the vagina, diabetes, or extreme stress.
Part 2: Spotting Instead of Period: Others’