Speech on Becoming an Organ Donor Essay
Organ Donation: by Samantha Hess
GENERAL PURPOSE: To persuade the audience to become organ donors.
SPECIFIC PURPOSE: To persuade my audience to become organ donors by informing them of what it is, how it works, the myths of organ donations, how to become an organ donor, and the benefits of being one.
THESIS: The need is constantly growing for organ donors and it is very simple to become one. Transplantation gives hope to thousands of people with organ failure and provides many others with renewed lives.
Introduction I. Attention getting device: How many of you are registered organ donors? (Give them time to raise their hands) According to the United Network for Organ Sharing, as of November 18, 2012, …show more content…
4. The donor must undergo psychiatric evaluation to make sure they are mentally stable to handle the procedure and the recovery.
5. Final blood tests are done 48 hours before the surgery to make sure the donor has not created any antibodies that will attack the donated organ.
6. The donor is given a pamphlet explaining the steps they must take the night before the surgery and the morning of the surgery.
7. The donor will arrive at the hospital hours before their surgery to undergo normal testings, such as blood pressure and heart rate.
8. Once the pre-surgery steps are taken, the surgery will begin in the operating room.