Research Paper On The Great Barrier Reef

Good Essays
The Great Barrier Reef

Do you want a perfect place to vacation that has breathtaking views of some rare, colorful coral? Would you like to dive into salty, blue aqua waters? Do you want to discover some eye-opening mysterious creatures? Then take a trip to Queensland, Australia and check out the Great Barrier Reef! Today, we are going to dive deep into the gorgeous, colorful Great Barrier Reef and learn all about it. Let’s research the reefs protection, figure out how it started, and ponder upon some fun facts.

Now, let’s dive deep into the deep blue ocean, and investigate the reefs features. The Great Barrier Reef is located in Queensland, Australia. It has 1500 miles of lots of wildlife and is almost parallel to the Queensland coast.The Great Barrier Reef stretches from the southern coast to the northern tip of Cape York. The reef can be between 15 and 150 kilometers from shore and around 65 kilometers wide in some parts. Although, being the world’s largest collection of coral the Great Barrier Reef is home to animals. 500 types of tropical fish, such as the clownfish, 200 types of birds, and 20 types of reptiles. Now that is a variety of animals! Some of the animals include dolphins and rays. The reef is also the home of the endangered sea cow and the giant green sea turtle that can weigh up to 300 pounds. In 1981, The Great
…show more content…
Now, we are going to research about how the Great Barrier Reef is dangered and how it should be protected. Some dangers of the reef are, ship traffic, new proposals for ports, large railway lanes, large dams, and coastal resort development. The Australian government has put aside $200 million dollars for the reefs health for it to also be in shape. From 2015 to 2050, the reef is planning a long-term sustainability plan so the reef won’t be “extinct”. This is called Reef Trust and it will take local funds and continue improving the coastal habitat and the water

Related Documents

  • Good Essays

    and towns. E: The reef is home to over five hundred aquatic species,, but this is only 10 % of the ocean is currently discovered, leaving 90% waiting to be researched (Barbezat). The reef is home to many endangered species, including, one of them being Whale Sharks. E: Although Whale Sharks also reside in Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, if they were to leave the MAR because of the dying reefs, 5-10% of the whale sharks left in the world would die (Dove, Fox, et al.). A: The reef provides a vital…

    • 1091 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Good Essays

    architectural decay. If you’re able to travel, visiting these sites is a way to protect them and contribute to their health and preservation. Grab your bag and passport to visit these five iconic places before they’re gone. The Great Barrier Reef Scientists believe the Great Barrier Reef as we know it will disappear in the next two decades without regulatory intervention and community involvement. This is due to global warming that slows coral growth and causes massive die-offs…

    • 678 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Better Essays

    comprises of thousands of reefs and hundreds of islands made up of over 600 types of hard and soft coral. It is one of the seven wonders of the world. It is a popular tourist destination with over 2 million visitors every year. It earns $5-6 million every year from these visits. It is a home for many animals such as 30 species of whales, dolphins and porpoises. It is also a breeding ground for animals such as six different species of turtles. The great the barrier reef is ancient and to some is dated…

    • 1817 Words
    • 8 Pages
    Better Essays