Political Changes In The 1960s Essay
Hook: How have the changes that happened in the 1960s politically affected our society?
Thesis: During the 1960s, many political changes have affected our society, such as the Civil Rights Movement, Gay Rights Movement, Women’s Rights Movement, and Vietnam War.
I. Civil Rights Movement: The Civil Rights Movement was one of the longest and most remembered events that happened in the US.
1. 1964 – > The wake of the Civil Rights Movement: The wake of the Civil Rights Movement happened sometime in the year 1964.
2. July 2nd, 1964 – > Passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964: US President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Civil Rights …show more content…
June 30th, 1966 – > Founded National Organization for Women (NOW): On June 30th, 1966, Betty Friedan, author of The Feminine Mystique, was one of the three women that started the National Organization for Women or N.O.W. for short.
3. 1969 – > Founded the National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws (NARAL): In the year 1969, the National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws or NARAL for short, was founded, but thirty-four years later, in the year 2003, changed its name to NARAL Pro-Choice.
IV. Vietnam War: There were many unhappy memorable events that happened in the US, but those events cannot beat the life-scaring event called the Vietnam War.
1. 1966 – > Veteran Stage Anti-War Rally: In the year 1966, World War I, World War II and Korean War veterans decided to have a protest rally in New York City.
2. April 7th, 1967 – >Martin Luther King Speaks Out Against War: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. made a speech about publically speaking out about not agreeing with the US policy in Vietnam on April 7th, 1967, which was the day before Dr. King was assented.
3. March 16th, 1968 – > My Lai Massacre: On March 16th, 1968, a village named My Lai was invaded by the American Division, 11th brigade, or better known as the angry and frustrated men of the Charlie