Online Education Programs For Adult Students Essay

1250 Words Apr 8th, 2016 5 Pages
Online Education Programs The online education industry is a huge market which spreads out over various segments. In recent years, the demand for online learning for adult students has skyrocketed. “Market research firm Global Industry Analysts projects it will reach $107 Billion in 2015” (McCue, 2014). Online education ranges from trade and professional associations, community colleges, universities, continuing education programs and executive education models. Many of the people pursuing these programs wish to better their lives, or hope to advance in their careers. Working adults, and those who are out of work have realized that obtaining a college degree is something than many students are accomplishing while working, raising their family, or even both. The groups of students who are seeking out online education vary. According to Forbes, “out of the 56 million online learners, the average age is 34, women make up 53% and men account for the other 47%” (Forbes, 2011). There has also been an increase in the percentage of African-American and Hispanic students attending college. Many online students are employed and are working on their undergraduate or graduate degree, only a small percentage are made up of traditional students, but this number is growing. Forbes also mentions that there are two student demographics which are increasing, disabled and military students. Before online learning only a small portion of disabled individuals pursued education beyond high…

Related Documents