A Comprehensive marketing audit allows a firm to understand its market standing, and also figure out its areas of strength and weaknesses (Ashill et al, 2003). Following the four key areas, we map out the current marketing strategy used by Sainsbury.
Segmentation – customers are different across regions. It is this heterogeneous nature of customers that led to the concept of marketing segmentation (Dibb, 2010). Hence, segmentation is the strategic allocation of marketing resources given the heterogeneous nature of customers (Moutinho, 2000). Geographically, Sainsbury uses the United Kingdom region as its primary geographical segment. With the aim of capturing the market share using the concept of best …show more content…
This is also described as a customer’s perception towards product or brand identity. According to Sainsbury Annual Report, (2014) positioning helps an organization to figure out its standing from the pricing point of view. As a retailing company, Sainsbury aims to focus on a higher quality market, as such Shankar & Bolton, (2004) posits that the company’s pricing strategy operates between medium and high end of the market. Sainsbury rely on the positioning strategy to showcase how it creates value for its …show more content…
The company rose to the peak as grocery retailer in 1922 and was one of the first to adopt self-service retailing in the United Kingdom. The company has a chain of 872 stores comprising of 537 supermarkets and 335 convenience stores. The company serves over 18.5 million customers a week with their largest store offering over 30,000 products – 40% of which are Sainsbury’s brand to choose from. Approximately 60% of their store are located around the city-center or near city center locations. It has over 150,000 workers, 30% of them are full time staff while the remaining 70% are employed on part-time.
What is customer relationship management (CRM)
Customer relationship management (CRM) is a combination of people, processes and technology set up in order to understand a company’s customers (Eckerson and Watson, 2000). Peppers and Rogers, (1999) described it as an integrated approach designed to oversee relationships through overseeing of customer retention and development of interpersonal relationships.
Further, Goldenberg, (2000) presumes that Customer relationship management isn’t just a mere application of technology to marketing, sales and services, instead, it is processes of implementation. When implemented successfully, it becomes a cross-functional, customer-centric, technology-driven