Industrialisation In Ancient Mesopotamia

1084 Words 5 Pages
Register to read the introduction… Around 2000 BCE, the flooding along the rivers were unpredictable. If the rivers rose too high, entire crops and villages could have been wiped out. In reverse, if the rivers were too low, draught would cause crops to wither and die, and the people faced starvation. Irrigation played a huge role in ancient Mesopotamia's economy by improving the growth and quality of the crops. Their main sources of revenue were wheat and barley, which could be traded for building materials and other necessary materials, which were scarce. In contrast to Ancient Mesopotamia's sole dependency on an agricultural economy, agriculture plays a more diluted role in modern day iraq accounting for only 7% of its annual Gross Domestic Product and employing one third of its labor force. Wheat and Barley are still grown in Iraq, but farmers struggle as the rivers are at an all time low. Iraqi farmers claim that the draughts are caused by the damming of the rivers in Turkey, and they struggle to keep their businesses alive. Even still, many farmers are losing their businesses and unemployed laborers are forced to look elsewhere for jobs. Iraq has become more depended on oil reserves to support its economy, and its main industries include petroleum, chemicals, …show more content…
Early religion in Mesopotamia was polytheistic for the majority. They believed that different gods controlled the various forces of nature. Ancient mesopotamia consisted over 2100 different deities that were associated with different city-states within. Ancient sumerian culture believed that afterlife was a land below our world that everyone went to regardless of social status or the actions performed during life. Around the 1st century CE, polytheistic ideas began to decline with the introduction to Christianity. When Alexander the Great captured Mesopotamia during the Conquest of the Roman Empire from 330 to 363 BCE, hellenic culture began to influence religion in Mesopotamia, and people began to forget their old gods and their old ways. During the Final conquest of Mesopotamia by the Muslim Arabs in the 7th century CE, the entire Mesopotamian culture was swept away. A new era arose in Mesopotamia during this time as the the law, language, religion, and culture were all unified under Islam. Even to this day, Mesopotamia is predominantly muslim. Iraq is 97% muslim who follow Shia and Sunni tradition, while the other 3% are Christian or other religions. Accordingly, Syria's population is 93% muslim, Iran's population is 99.6% muslim, and Turkey's population is 98.3%

Related Documents