The Negative Effects Of Downshift Factors
2) The pace of which the consumer is walking determines whether …show more content…
Furthermore, the downshift factor is when prospective shoppers enter a store, it will take them several paces in order to adjust ordering to the light and decrease their walking speed (Gladwell 2). For example, if a store is placed near a bank, the consumer may ignore a clothing store because the business was not strategically placed in order for shoppers to reduce their pace.
4) Another effect of the downshift factor is the consumer will ignore items placed towards the front of the store because they are still readjusting to the atmosphere of the business. As Paco Underhill states, stores should place important items, such as a new, seasonal collection or large promotional items, towards the middle of the store in order to increase the sales of the product.
5) Underhill also developed the “butt-brush theory” in which states women will swiftly exit a store if an object or person brushes her behind. Also, if they are not enough room for a stroller in the aisles, women are more likely to exit the business. As a result, in order to increase sales in a women’s store, the business should insure the “butt-brush theory” could not …show more content…
10) Placing men’s socks near the shoes or cash register creates a faster option for men instead of walking around the entire store for a single item, which can lead to frustration and a missed sale.
11) In recent years, women have become consumers in a different manner than their older counterparts. Gladwell discuss the change that an Estee Lauder location went through in order to adapt to the changing society. Instead of the employees telling the shoppers what to buy, they are “asking and recommending” products to suit the consumer’s needs (Gladwell 7).
12) In order for a store to succeed, the business should pay close attention to the overall atmosphere their store produces. Instead of becoming a “one type fits all” retail store, consider a specific type of atmosphere to show the customer this store offers items in which are differing from other