Psychology is not a science. Psychology has very few job opportunities. Psychology is just common sense. These are just a few of the most common misconceptions about the field of psychology.
In truth, psychologists use the scientific method to explore and gain an understanding of mankind’s most challenging problems. Brain functioning. Behavior. Relationships. Motivation. These topics and more are researched and examined by psychologists, and the answers improve our understanding of ourselves and others around us. Even without graduate training, the science of psychology offers a host of career options. Due to the complex and varied nature of its applications, a psychology …show more content…
Most are attracted by a desire to better understand themselves and help people. In addition to presenting an intriguing subject, the growing field of psychology attracts students who are looking to obtain a variety of practical skills and a degree that proves to be incredibly flexible inside and outside the field.
Top Benefits of a Degree in Psychology
Defined as the study of the human mind and behavior, psychology is helpful across virtually all industries involving people, which is partly why it’s such a dynamic degree regardless of career goals.
The white paper describes 10 skills that undergraduate psychology majors have that improve their attractiveness to employers after graduation. These include:
1. An ability to predict and understand behavior in individuals and groups
2. A profound insight into problematic behaviors
3. An ability to demonstrate perseverance under challenging conditions
4. An ability to collect, interpret, and apply data
5. A skill to adjust to change
6. Knowledge of the functions of learning and memory
7. An ability to judge the validity of assertions about behavior
8. An ability to cope with and handle high stress environments and taxing situations
9. An understanding of how to successfully function throughout the channels