Why Are The Remaining 58 Percent Not Voting? Essay

807 Words Feb 19th, 2016 4 Pages
“Are you registered to vote?” appeared at the very top of my newsfeed on Facebook for about a week until it finally disappeared. “No,” was my answer every time I saw it. Even if I wanted to, I could not be for I am not a citizen of the United States. I wondered, however, how many people my age, who are able to vote, are registered to vote. Then, how many of them actually care to vote. I have since asked several of my friends if they are registered or going to vote, and their answer has been no, which perplexed me. According to the U.S Census data, 62 million Americans are not registered to vote, and only 42 percent of those registered voted in the 2014 midterm elections. The real question is, why are the remaining 58 percent not voting? Even though they are not part of the 58 percent, I wanted to know why my friends are not registered, their answer was “Because I don’t care.” And yet, whenever the name of a candidate comes up, they seem to care and surely have a lot to say about why he should or should not be elected president. They think their lives are not going to be affected if they do not vote. This brings forth the question of why do they care enough to complain, but not enough to vote. There are some people who believe their vote will not make a difference, for there are millions of people voting. They think one less vote is not going to change the outcome of the election. With this type of thinking they fail to realize that they are not the only ones who think…

Related Documents