Essay about Water Conservation

2254 Words Aug 8th, 2010 10 Pages
Water Use and Conservation Report
Thesis
This report will firstly present and express the importance of water before going about expounding the various ways in which water is being used. It will go on to demonstrate the lack of accessibility alongside the vulnerability of the resource and explaining how it would lead to water shortage on the basis of factors affecting the globe currently.
Moreover, an elaboration will be made on the different water conservation techniques made by organisations along with the government of Singapore and Australia further exploring the outcome of the measures and policies implemented by them before we conclude with our thoughts on water usage and conservation.
Introduction
Water is one of the most critical
…show more content…
Climate change contributes to water shortage as it increases demand for water in the agricultural sector, due mainly to irrigation, due to prolonged dry periods and severe drought which researchers estimate a 40% increase in irrigated land by 2080. It also would cause increase in the need to hydrate livestock in farms and also to industries to use larger quantities of water for industrial cooling both due to the rising atmospheric temperatures (Morrison et al, 2009). More floods would occur with rising temperatures and the melting of ice in the Polar Regions would increase the sea level causing floods. Low-lying and coastal regions would be affected by floods and soil erosion due to too much rainfall would decrease the quality of water supplied which would likely cause diseases.
Moving on from factors that contribute to water shortages, it would be elaborating on measures taken by Singapore and Australia in managing water.
Singapore is an island with a tropical climate. It receives a great amount of rainfall of about 2400 mm of rain annually which is placed far above the world average of 1050 mm. However, it is unable to capture and store much of it due to its limited land space. Local catchment only supplies 60% of percent of the country’s daily requirements. The other 40% has been heavily reliant on Malaysia which supplies water to Singapore. However, Malaysia has used it to

Related Documents