The Curse Of The Pharaohs
The beginning of Tut’s curse started when Lord Carnarvon hired Howard Carter to find the boy kings tomb. Lord Carnarvon, the 5th Earl of Carnarvon was born in his family castle near Newbury England on June twenty sixth 1866. He succeeded to the title in 1890 and married Almina Victoria Maria Alexandra Wombell. Early in his life he took up horse racing and some motorized racing. After wrecking one of his motorized vehicles he became ill and weak to the cold English climate, which is when he first visited Egypt and took a liking to the warm weather it provided. He moved to Cairo, Egypt in 1903 to spend his winter days. Soon he became bored and felt Egypt was dull. That's when he go into Egyptology as a hobby to help pass his days. Little did he know it would slowly come to dominate his life. He started by excavating small concessions, requested by Lord Cromer. Slowly he began growing interest of the pyramids and kings of Old Egypt. After months of planning with archaeologist Howard Carter, they set out to find the Tomb of boy King Tutankhamun. On November fourth 1922 they found his tomb. The inside of the Burial Chamber was almost completely filled with a large shrine over 16 feet long, 10 feet wide, and 9 feet tall. The walls of the shrine were made of gilded wood inlaid with a brilliant blue porcelain. King Tut’s tomb was comprised of four main rooms; the antechamber, the annex, the burial chamber, and the treasury room. This tomb was extraordinary as it was only one of two pharaoh tombs ever discovered in Egypt that had not been robbed of its treasure. When Carter and his team unsealed the tomb, they had a security guard sitting outside the tomb opening around the clock 24 hours a day. Carter also told reporters about the ¨Curse¨ as a tactic to keep people out of this ancient treasure.