Essay on "The Prince" Questions
AP European History 29 October 2012
“The Prince” Project
Of the Qualities for Which Men, and Most of all Princes, are Praised and Blamed
1. Which qualities does Machiavelli say leaders will reap praise? Blame?
a. Praise: courageous, merciful, faithful, religious, trustworthy, generosity, humane
b. Blame: coward, miserliness, cruelty, treacherous, unbeliever
2. Which kind of qualities does Machiavelli recommend rulers to follow?
Machiavelli recommends the rulers to follow the good qualities, unless needs to protect himself from a vice who would not lose the state for him or be prudent enough to escape a vice who would lose the state for him.
Of Liberality and Miserliness
3. Why does …show more content…
8. What is the significance of the metaphor of the lion and the fox?
The significance of the lion and the fox is that a lion cannot defend itself from traps and a fox cannot protect itself from wolves, therefore leaders need to know how to use the natures of a beast and of man. 9. Why do leaders need to keep a balance between fox and lion?
The leaders need to keep a balance between lion and fox in order to be successful leaders. Princes must break promises when put at disadvantages or when the reason to make the promise is gone. They must also be great hypocrites and liars for those who allow themselves to be deceived.
10. Which of the 5 virtues does Machiavelli feel is the most important to appear to possess? Why do you think he claims that is the most important?
Machiavelli feels that the virtue of religion is the most important to appear to possess. I think he claims that this is the most important because people would judge based upon religion and he said that people are always looking at their leaders to see what they are doing. A princes methods will always be judged honorable and will be praised by all ordinary people.
How A Prince Should Conduct Himself As To Gain Renown
11. Discuss the different ways in which princes can gain fame. Which of these does Machiavelli feel is most effective? When a situation arises and somebody performs an extraordinary act, being