Overview Of Drug-Free Workplace Policy
A review of personnel incidents over the last fifteen years indicates that the policy was written, but not implemented in the same spirit that it was developed for. A revised DFWP is being recommended and identified as Addendum 2. The six step process recommended to improve the DFWP includes the following:
1. Recognition of stakeholders in the organization.
2. Involve the stakeholders in the process of developing and implementing the policy.
3. Develop a support and counseling system for substance abusers.
4. Invest in software to help identify certain metrics that indicate behavior consistent with substance abuse.
5. Training sessions for the supervisors and employees.
6. Publicize the program and emphasize the support and counseling aspect of the program.
The costs associated with each step are identified in Addendum 3 and will be explained in …show more content…
This part of the implementation process does not currently have any costs associated with it. The employees need to be trained and made aware of the program on a frequent basis. The associated costs are related to the time involved by HR and supervisors in training and informing the employees. Information about substance abuse may be given out in monthly staff meetings. HR should be sending information to supervisors to pass on to employees on a monthly to quarterly basis. Communication through email, handouts, and meetings can reduce the cost associated with these communications. This information can readily be attained from the rehabilitation centers, and insurance company that the City has partnered with. The program may also reach out to the public by free advertisement spots on the radio and in the paper. Information from the police department drug enforcement sections and the rehabilitation centers can be shared during these opportunities. Social media and the website can also be used to support anti-drug use information to counter the growing substance abuse in the public