Non Lethal Weapons By Law Enforcement Case Study
This paper will answer the five questions offered below:
1. When did law enforcement start using non-lethal weapons and the different types of non-lethal weapons?
2. The two primary continuums and the significance of Non-lethal weapons and why law enforcement needs non-lethal weapons?
3. What are the causes and effects of non-lethal weapons, in regards to Tasers and pepper spray on a suspect?
4. When a subject is sprayed with pepper spray, can OC cause the death of a suspect from not being able to breathe?
5. What impacts do non-lethal weapons have on society?
The use of less-lethal force by law enforcement personnel started in the “1960s during the civil rights and anti-war movements” (Wilson …show more content…
Many law-enforcement agencies Swear by the Taser that is it the perfect non-lethal weapon to subdue a suspect in the line of duty. In fact, “over 10,000 agencies nationwide currently use Tasers” (Porges 18). With over 10,000 Law enforcement agencies using Tasers but are they safe?
According to a recent report in The Arizona Republic, “at least 167 people have died after being shocked with a Taser” (Porges 17). This is a small number of people that have died from being Tasered furthermore, how many people would have died if the law enforcement agencies used a gun instead of a Taser. A study that was conducted at the University of Toronto then published in The Journal of American Cardiology “showed that some pigs that sustained Taser shocks died of irregular heart rhythms” (Porges 18). Is this a possibility why these 167 people died from being …show more content…
Most pepper sprays products have a range of 8 to 12 feet and will stop a suspect within seconds of being sprayed. Mist and fogger sprays make it likely to lay down a defensive barrier which the suspect will go through to get the law enforcement officer. They are also small, easy to carry, non-lethal devices leave no permanent damage to a suspect. With these products, they are very easy to use all you have to do is point and shoot at the