As a result of the accumulation of both nitrate and nitrite in animal rumen, it causes acute and chronic symptom which run as reduction in weigh gin, reduction in milk production, low appetite, aborted breathing, blue coloring of mucus membrane, rapid heartbeat, abdominal pain, vomiting, reproductive problems, abortions, and premature death of calves. Dimethylnitrosamine had previously been demonstrated to disrupt nucleic acids in the rat and cause liver tumors. The acute nitrate poisoning causes death, because the nitrate is reduced to nitrite in the rumen by bacteria. Nitrite is highly toxic because it combines with hemoglobin and form methemoglobin which is enabling to carry oxygen. A death occurs within few hours after the ingestion of a high nitrate feed …show more content…
Identification: identification of compounds by HPLC is a crucial part of any HPLC assay. In order to identify any compound by HPLC a detector must first be selected. Identifying a compound by HPLC is accomplished by researching the literature and by trial and error. A sample of known compound must be utilized in order to assure identification of the unknown compound. Identification of compound can be assured by combining two or more detection methods.
3. Quantification: quantification of compounds by HPLC is the process of determining the unknown concentration of a compound in a known solution. . It involves injecting a series of known concentrations of the standard compound solution onto the HPLC for detection.
4. Preparative HPLC refers to the process of isolation and purification of compounds. The degree of purity and the amount of compound produced per unit time is important. The information that can be obtained includes identification, quantification and resolution of a compound.
5. Natural Products: HPLC is an ideal method for the separation of various components in plant extracts which resembles in structure.
6. Stability Study: The analysis of various degradation products can be done and thus stability indicating HPLC system has been developed.
7. Bioassay: HPLC can be used to complement bioassay and give an activity