Essay on medical law project
1. Under HIPAA, are you legally allowed to view this patient’s medical information? Why or why not?
Under HIPAA you are not legally allowed to view a patients medical information unless you have written consent, but because he just had outpatient surgery and signed a HIPAA release of information form so you are able to view his information.
2. In this case, how would you be able to correct your error and provide the missing documents to the patient while still protecting patient confidentiality under HIPAA?
I would contact the patient by phone, mail or email. What ever way he wanted to be contacted in his file that’s how I would contact the patient. I would ask him if he wanted to …show more content…
Unit 8 Project Questions: Part II
1. Would the action taken in this second scenario be within your scope of practice for your chosen field? Why or why not?
The action taken within my scope depended on what state I am in. In some states medical assistants have the right to refill prescriptions. The assistant still should of confirmed it with the patients Physican.
2. What determines your scope of practice for your chosen career? A licsense in your career is a start. It provides proof of what you are able to do. A clear chain of command provides a “failsafe” mechanism so that no employees are left to make decisions that they are unqualified to make.
3. Would Respondeat Superior apply in this case scenario? Why or why not? Respondeat superior is a Latin phrase meaning, “let the master answer.” Under the principle of respondeat superior, an employer is liable for acts of the employee within the scope of employment. What this means for physicians is that they are liable for negligent actions of the employees working for them. The assistant should of known to clear it with the physican first and the physican should make