intro to business chapter 5 Essay
1. The six barriers of effective communication are, 1)Physical barriers 2)Language barriers 3)Body language barriers 4)Perceptual barriers 5)Organizational barriers 6)Cultural barriers. In my opinion I believe that the easiest barriers to surmount are the physical barrier. Often people act as if nothing is bothering them, and the can hide their physical discomforts.
2. Why is nonverbal communication so important? How can you tell when non-verbal communication is effective?
1. Nonverbal communication is important because, in the text it stated …show more content…
1. In creating smooth conversational tones, the text five steps which include 5-4a analyze the audience, 5-4b be concise, 5-4c avoid slag, and 5-4d avoid bias.
8. Why do so many people ignore or delete email messages? How can you boost the chances that your target audience will read your message?
1. In chapter five page 75 the text stated, that many business people feel that checking emails is like approaching a fire hose for a sip of water, in other words many emails come with unnecessary junk / unneeded information. There are ways to boost audience willingness to read emails which includes: keep it short, proofread, use standard writing, avoid attachments if possible, respond promptly to emails, assume the best, create a compelling subject line, and think before you write and think again before you send.
9. What are your options for creating an effective opening “hook” for a verbal presentation? Why should you be careful about using humor?
1. Great implementation of an opening hook can really grab the attention of the audience. There are several technics that can be used which include; statistic, audience involvement, compelling stories/anecdotal exerts, similes/metaphor, and lastly an engaging question.