Essay on Informative Speech
Topic: “Postpartum Depression”
General Purpose: To inform
Specific Purpose: To inform the audience about Postpartum Depression
Thesis: Postpartum depression is a mood disorder that can greatly effect new mothers. Knowing how to recognize their symptoms and treating it can greatly increase chances of a healthy, happy living.
Attention Getter: Imagine a bright sunny morning, lite clouds low chances of rain which is a great example of a perfect day. You receive a call from someone who is about to have a baby. Who can believe an already perfect day can get any better. The mother is in labor and the baby is due any second now. The most joyous, exciting, life-changing and memorable moment in anyone’s life is about to …show more content…
1. Some symptoms include inability to sleep, extreme feelings of sadness, irritability, feeling of shame and guilt, significant loss in weight, or lack of interest in life, family, friends, and baby.
2. There are instances in which symptoms can evolve into thoughts of suicide or harming the baby.
B. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention based on a survey given, “8 to 19 percent of women reported having frequent postpartum depressive symptoms.”
Transition (Finally let me discuss the treatments that are available)
III. There are many treatments available today that can halt the progression of postpartum depression.
A. The best way to treat depression is to take care of yourself by taking care of your mental and physical well-being.
1. For some women, talking about depression can be hard but talking with a family member or friend may help to elevate the anxiety.
2. Other ways to help treat postpartum depression is asking a family member for help with the baby needs and in the home and getting as much rest as you can.
B. Professional treatment is accessible for people who may not have support of family or self-help options were unsuccessful.
1. Avery, Thurgood, and Williamson explains that “Combining psychotherapy, which has proven effective for