Art of Listening Essay
• Explain what we mean by listening skills • Identify why listening skills are important, from an employability perspective • Identify key reasons why we often fail to listen effectively • Adopt simple listening techniques to ensure that you listen effectively
• Almost 45% of time we spend in listening. • An essential management and leadership skill. • A process of receiving, interpreting and reacting to a message. • Difference between listening & hearing
Why Be A Good Listener?
Needs of the Customer… • To be recognized and remembered • To feel valued • To feel appreciated • To feel respected • To feel understood • To feel comfortable about a …show more content…
Is following and understanding the sound---it is hearing with a purpose.
Listening vs. Hearing
• Hearing- physical process; natural; passive
• Listening- physical & mental process; active; learned process; a skill
• Listening is hard! You must choose to participate in the process of listening.
• • • • •
Listening is composed of six distinct components Hearing: The physiological process of receiving sound and/or other stimuli. Attending: The conscious and unconscious process of focusing attention on external stimuli. Interpreting: The process of decoding the symbols or behavior attended to. Evaluating: The process of deciding the value of the information to the receiver. Remembering: The process of placing the appropriate information into short-term or long-term storage. Responding: The