A Study Questions On The Era Of Reconstruction Essay
FIRST MAJOR TEST
1. What are the inclusive years of the Era of Reconstruction?
2. How was Abraham Lincoln killed? When?
3. How does the number of Americans killed in the Civil War compare to the number of Americans killed in all of our other wars?
4. What was the purpose of the Freedmen’s Bureau? What specifically did it do? What was the attitude of Andrew Johnson toward the Bureau?
5. What was Lincoln’s plan of reconstruction called? How did Congress respond to it?
6. What was the Wade-Davis Bill? How did Lincoln respond to it?
7. What kind of person was Andrew Johnson?
8. What were the Black Codes? What were they designed to do?
9. What did the 13th Amendment to the Constitution provide? The 14th? The 15th?
10. Identify Thaddeus Stevens and Charles Sumner.
11. What kind of leaders did the former Confederate States elect during the last half of 1865? How did Congress respond to those new leaders when it convened in Dec. of 1865?
12. What was the first former Confederate state to be re-admitted into the Union? Why?
13. What was Andrew Johnson’s attitude toward the 14th Amendment?
14. What did “Military Reconstruction” do?
15. What was the Tenure of Office Act? How was it significant?
16. Who won the presidential election of 1868? What did this election lead the Republicans to do?
17. Identify Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony.
18. Identify the Carpetbaggers.
19. Identify the Scalawags.
20. Describe the nature of the…