The Harlem Renaissance ( 1919-1929 ) Essay
• The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) (1910) o Focused on legal strategies designed to confront the civil rights issues. o W.E.B. Dubois was the cofounder and editor of the Crisis.
• James Weldon Johnson’s novel Autobiography of an Ex-colored Man is published. (1912)
• President Woodrow Wilson (1913- 1921) o Issued a call for all Americans to enter war in order to “make the world safe for democracy”. o Over two hundred thousand Americans went to Europe in support of the cause. o Blacks had to deal with strict segregationist policies.
• The Armistice ending World War One (1918) o Social reformers had come to believe race was an invention.
• Demographics shifts in the United States. (Bought new settlers from rural areas into the city) o Search of economic opportunities and escape racial prejudices of the South.
• The Great Depression (1929-1939)
World War 1
• Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria and his wife triggered WW1. (1914)
• President Wilson…