Parsons Project Planning Case Study

Amazing Essays
At Parsons, project risk is typically determined as a measure of possible obstacles to reaching overall project objectives within established cost, schedule, and technical constraints. A comprehensive risk analysis should be implemented for any project and is required as part of an executive proposal review (EPR). The proposal risk evaluation starts by classifying all risks that might affect the project. A standard risk checklist helps this process and addresses the most common risks. Project risk management is the process of planning for, identifying, analyzing, responding to, and monitoring project risk to minimize the probability and consequences of events that could be adverse to project objectives. Well-accomplished risk management processes …show more content…
Technical leaders on the project team also prepare essential support and input to the risk assessment. Risk mitigation strategies are most effective when they are developed by those responsible for their implementation. All project supervisory personnel should actively participate in developing mitigation plans.

RISK-BASED MANAGEMENT APPROACH
Most Parsons projects face a near constant barrage of risks, many of them could harmfully impact the outcome of a project. and it is hard to identify, prioritize, and manage these risks, the project manager performance can be compromised. Therefore, an awareness of, and ability to identify, project risks is a primary activity at all stages of a project.
Parsons project manager and project control manager should make sure that the project staff is directed at maximizing opportunities and minimize hazards throughout the project. The risk management approach is central to all project management activities, including the following:
• Planning the project.
• Organizing and structuring the work.
• Developing management systems.
• Creating project procedures.
• Allocating
…show more content…
Each risk is assigned a single value associated with the potential impact if the risk event occurs. This value should represent a reasonably pessimistic scenario, but not necessarily the worst case scenario. Each risk is also assigned a single probability value. The product of the impact and the probability is the value assigned to the risk.
For example:
A project manager estimates that the cost of a critical piece of equipment may overrun budget by $1 million. The probability of the overrun is estimated to be 1 in 10, or 10%. The value assigned to the risk is $1,000,000 x 10% = $100,000.
Many project risks have many possible outcomes, each with a different consequence or probability. If the simplified single expected value approach is not enough, it can be expanded by dividing a risk into multiple gradations, as shown in the following example.
A project manager estimates a 10% probability that a piece of equipment will be $1 million over budget, but also a 30% probability that the equipment will have a smaller overrun of $500,000. (Total probability of an overrun is 40%.) The value assigned to the risk is ($1,000,000 x 10%) + ($500,000 x 30%) =

Related Documents

  • Decent Essays

    Risk Management Plan

    • 1084 Words
    • 4 Pages

    Identify risks: To understand what potential events might hurt or enhance a particular project. Risk identification should happen during initiation phase at a high level, at the end of planning and on a regular basis during execution. The risk identification techniques are as follows: 1. Project document walkthroughs: Reviewing documents, assumption analysis and checklists. 2.…

    • 1084 Words
    • 4 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Risk management is a critical undertaking that must be addressed within every endeavor. Without a thorough risk assessment, a project can suffer major setbacks, increased costs, and the potential project failure. Along with evaluating each project for potential risks, each organization must also determine the type of risks that the organization will tolerate, mitigate or avoid. By identifying potential risks, a project management office (PMO) can develop an effective risk management plan that will protect the interests of the business and ensure project success. Background Risk management plans are a critical function of every project and must be continually performed within the project lifecycle.…

    • 946 Words
    • 4 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Besides that, risk can be considered as any exposure to the chances of loss or destruction. All these risk factors have a major effect on the outcome of a project in terms of the project duration that might cause the delays in the schedule. The risk management should be applied to control the level of risk and reduce its effects.. In the construction industry the project performance majorly depends on the three constraints which are the time, quality and cost. The effects of risk factors on the construction processs depend on the contractor specific, location-specifics conditions and project specific.…

    • 1812 Words
    • 8 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    The four phases are: Phase-1: Identification: This phase mainly consists of identifying the potential risks which may impact the project’s success. These risks can be categorized as high-probability/high-impact, low- probability/high-impact, high-probability/low-impact, low-probability/low-impact. The risks with medium and high impacts or the combination of two or more risks which poses greater threats on the project should be greatly considered and should not be overlooked. This can be done by “brain- storming” type of workshop between the project team and considering the expert judgement. Phase-2: Assessment: After identifying the potential risks of the project, the next step is to assess the risks, determining their ranking or status of the risk, in terms of type, impact and probability.…

    • 1381 Words
    • 6 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    How will this affect its price? i) Increase in tax reduces the output and raises the price. ii) P = $500 − 10Q iii) From (e) below, quantity is 15 iv) Therefore, P=500-(10x15) = $350 e) How would the $1,000 per day tax its output per day? Tax of $1000 reduces profit to $3000 from $4000 If Q of 20 produces profit of $4000, then $3000 will be produced by; (20x3000)/4000 =15. Therefore, output reduces to 15 f) How would the $1,000 per day tax affect its profit per day?…

    • 719 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    In project planning, the first to do is knowing what we need to do. To analyze the objectives that team assumed, we approach specific analysis like SWOT analysis and Risk analysis. These analyses are used to examine the current position of project and decide how to improve the situations. There might be more number of techniques to do this analysis. SWOT analysis is a formal approach, where we analyses the strengths and weaknesses of the organization and opportunities and threats they will face in future of the project.…

    • 745 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Training and education is particularly important when it comes to social engineering and internal (employee) mistakes that can lead to attacks. Technology on the other hand is the main operation layer of Defense in Depth approach since it can detect the attack and also…

    • 714 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    An important question is the cost, which company might have to pay if not protecting the asset. Identify vulnerabilities and threats Once the assets have been known and their values allocated, all the possible vulnerabilities and threats has to be identified for each of them. The security team should identify the vulnerabilities which could affect confidentiality integrity, or availability requirements. All the obtained information need to be documented so that the required countermeasures can be applied. As there might be a large number of vulnerabilities and associated threats that could disturb the assets, it is also important to be properly categorize them.…

    • 1790 Words
    • 8 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    The next step is to arrange the risks in a systematic manner in order to prioritize them. This involves ranking the risks according to the potential harm they may have on the project. Here one should consider the manner in which the risk is likely to affect or rather impact the budget, time period of project and scope of the project. The nest step after that is calculation of the risks basing on the impact, probability and degree of controllability. Putting a risk management plan follows after one has done all the above.…

    • 1400 Words
    • 6 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Project Risk Management

    • 1028 Words
    • 5 Pages

    This combination is what enables them to identify the risks the project faces, their relative probability and the impact to the project if any. This paper will assess the component of the risk workshop and risk register in the risk management process. The objective of this workshop is to provide a clear understanding of a particular risk management process and its successful application. This workshop will also provide the participants with all necessary tools, techniques, and principles to help address and alleviate the project risk. It will again, help equip participant to develop project risk register, project risk workshop agenda and brainstorm project strategies to mitigate the risk that may occur in the project throughout the life of it.…

    • 1028 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Decent Essays