Petroleum Pipeline : Natural Gas Pipeline Essay
• U.S Natural Gas supply is at an all-time high, creating economic growth and making energy security a top priority.
• Natural Gas heats 76 million homes, provides 25% of the nation’s energy, saves the average consumer nearly $900/year, and creates nearly 60 jobs per mile of pipeline constructed.
• The United States natural gas pipeline infrastructure is grossly underdeveloped and The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission’s (FERC) recent rejection of the Pacific pipeline project further exacerbates this situation.
• FERC’s inefficient pipeline approval process puts essential projects on multi-year holds and has arguably prevented the creation of over 200,000 jobs.
• The natural gas permitting process can and should be reformed. Natural Gas and Energy Security
With the advent of the shale revolution, U.S. energy security has become a top priority. Technological advances in hydraulic fracturing and horizontal drilling, in addition to newly exploited gas deposits in both the Marcellus and Mancos formations, have supported a 146% increase in U.S. domestic production of natural gas over the last 15 years. In response to this production boom, U.S. natural gas imports have plummeted by 75% percent over the same period, this decline is not expected to reverse. The United States Geological Survey’s (USGS) most recent evaluation has declared Colorado’s Mancos Shale formation to be the nation’s second largest potential shale and tight gas resource.…