Epoprostenol Research Paper
- Epoprostenol belongs to some hormones which present in the body naturally called prostaglandins.
- It is derived from arachidonic acid . This medication is taken by a continuous injection in the vein by the use of an infusion pump .
- Generic Name: Epoprostenol sodium
- Brand Name : Flolan
Fig. 1 Chemical structure of epoprostenol
• During comparison between two GPs of patients with PPH.one of them are treated with epoprostenol and the other arenot,the survival rate was higher in first GP but in the other group was lower .This Figure show the difference between the IV epoprostenol and historical control.
• It is divided into 2 parts (1) Pharmacological action
• Epoprostenol has 2 major pharmacological …show more content…
used to treat the hypertension of primary pulmonary
(2) Also it is used to treat pulmonary hypertension in patients who tried to use another drugs which did not give a well result.
(3) It helps to improve some symptoms such as shortness of breath & tiredness also it helps in increasing the ability of the patient to exercise like this diagram which explain the improvement of walking during using Epoprostenol.
- Epoprostenol is contraindicated in patients who have severe Heart Failure, Fluid in the Lungs(pulmonary edema)&high Risk of Bleeding.
- Also it is contraindicated in patients who complain from hypersensitivity to this drug or any of contained ingredients.
• This drug has many side effects which may be more OR less . if they occur , medical attention is needed.
• Abdominal or stomach pain , pain in bladder , swelling in the face & in the arms, bloody or cloudy urine , change in vision , changes in the color of the skin , itching , pain in chest , constipation , cough , decrease in urine , depression & difficult in urination.