Difference Between Male And Female Earnings Essay

1060 Words Dec 8th, 2015 null Page
The gender pay gap is the difference between male and female earnings expressed as a percentage of male earnings, according to the OECD.
The European Commission defines it as the average difference between men’s and women’s aggregate hourly earnings. It is generally suggested that the wage gap is due to a variety of causes, such as differences in education choices, differences in preferred job and industry, discrimination in hiring, differences in salary negotiations, differences in the types of positions held by men and women, differences in the type of jobs men typically go into as opposed to women, differences in amount of work experience, difference in length of work week, and breaks in employment. These factors resolve 60% to 75% of the pay gap, depending on the source, and various explanations for the remaining 25% to 40% have been suggested, sex discrimination among them.
In the United States, the average female 's earnings have been cited as 78% of those of an average male. However, multiple studies from OECD, AAUW and the US Department of Labor have found that pay rates between males and females varied by 5-6.6% or females earned 94 cents to every dollar earned by their male counterparts. In the UK the gender pay gap has continued to close and as of 2012, the gap officially dropped below 10% for full-time workers. The gender pay gap can also be viewed as a generational sliding scale, with females between 55-65 with the largest disparity and females between the…

Related Documents