Chapter 8 Microbial Genetics Essay
Chapter 8 Microbial Genetics
8.1 Multiple Choice Questions
1) A gene is best defined as
A) a segment of DNA.
B) three nucleotides that code for an amino acid.
C) a sequence of nucleotides in DNA that codes for a functional product.
D) a sequence of nucleotides in RNA that codes for a functional product.
E) a transcribed unit of DNA.
2) Which of the following pairs is mismatched?
A) DNA polymerase — makes a molecule of DNA from a DNA template
B) RNA polymerase — makes a molecule of RNA from an RNA template
C) DNA ligase — joins segments of DNA
D) transposase — insertion of DNA segments into DNA
E) DNA gyrase — coils and twists DNA
Answer: …show more content…
E) All of the answers are correct.
14) Which of the following statements regarding a bacterium that is R+ is FALSE?
A) It possesses a plasmid.
B) R+ can be transferred to a cell of the same species.
C) It is resistant to certain drugs and heavy metals.
D) It is F+.
E) R+ can be transferred to a different species.
15) The initial effect of ionizing radiation on a cell is that it causes
A) DNA to break.
B) bonding between adjacent thymines.
C) base substitutions.
D) the formation of highly reactive ions.
E) the cells to get hot.
16) According to the operon model, for the synthesis of an inducible enzyme to occur, the
A) end-product must not be in excess.
B) substrate must bind to the enzyme.
C) substrate must bind to the repressor.
D) repressor must bind to the operator.
E) repressor must not be synthesized.
17) Synthesis of a repressible enzyme is stopped by the
A) allosteric transition.
B) substrate binding to the repressor.
C) corepressor binding to the operator.
D) corepressor-repressor complex binding to the operator.
E) end product binding to the promoter.
18) In Figure 8.2, if base 4 is thymine, what is base 4'?